I'm running into an occasional native code error by JDK 1.4.1_01.
The snippets that seem relevant are below, and the mentioned error
log is [attached|hs_err_pid9331.log]. We're running on linux (2.4.*)
and using Sun's VM.

Any ideas? This may well be related to the tomcat4 upgrade and associated
mod_jk problems, and it is affected this wiki in a nasty way... 

--[ebu]

;:''Which libpthread version? which glibc version? for a similar bug with older jdks a workaround was ''ulimit -s 2048'', limiting the stack to 2MB ''

Sorry, can't help you with this problem, but what is this {{tuparit}}-WebApp? The 
combination of libraries looks __very__ interesting (though I am a bit surprised by 
the many log*-jars). -- [Torsten|TorstenH]

;:''Torsten, it's a quick'n'ugly experimental setup for a housewarming invitation list using velocity and hypersqldb. Nothing you really want to see.;) --[ebu]''

Signal 11's can be caused by a number of irritating factors - have a look at [Sig 11 FAQ|http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/].  Have you tried the installation on another box?  If it's load related you might be able to cause it with a load tool like [JMeter|http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/] or [WAST|http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/intranet/downloads/webstres.asp]. -- [Lachlan|LachlanODonnell]

It seems that we do not have this problem with JDK 1.3.1, only with JDK 1.4.1_01.  Which does not really explain it any better :-).  Installation is a bog-standard Debian Woody, with custom compiled Apache.

-- [JanneJalkanen]

OK, we still have this problem.  Here's a list of things that we have tried.

||   JDK    ||   Tomcat    ||   mod_jk   ||  Result
| 1.3.1     |    3.2.3    |  pre-compiled JK1 |  OK.
| 1.3.1     |    4.1.18   |  pre-compiled JK2 |  OK (but clearly slower than 1.4)
| 1.4.1_01  |    4.1.18   |  pre-compiled JK2 |  fail
| 1.4.1_01  |    4.1.21   |  self-compiled JK2 | fail
| 1.4.1 (Blackdown) | 4.1.21 | self-compiled JK2 | fail
| 1.4.1_02  |  4.1.21     | self-compiled JK1 | Fail (but rarely)
| 1.4.2-beta| 4.1.21      | self-compiled JK1 | OK?

We're currently trying the Sun Java 1.4.2-beta with 4.1.21 and self-compiled JK.  I've set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 for Tomcat - some of the things I googled up seem to suggest this.

I have a suspicion that this has something to do with the increasing load of the machine.  Our libc is 2.2.5, pthreads 0.9.

-- [JanneJalkanen]

''Update 10-May-2003:'' We've now been running 1.4.2-beta for a few days, and so far have had no problems.  It could be that this was an infestation of [bug 4785384|http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4785384.html] in the SDK.  Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Here are a couple of Java bugs that might have something to do with this:
* [Bug 4785384|http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4785384.html]
* [Bug 4703989|http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4703989.html] ''(Fixed in 1.4.1_02)''

----

{{{
An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x40024C90
Function=(null)+0x40024C90
Library=/lib/libpthread.so.0

...

#
# The exception above was detected in native code outside the VM
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.1_01-b01 mixed mode)
#
# An error report file has been saved as hs_err_pid9331.log.
# Please refer to the file for further information.
#
}}}